Our Art teachers are in good positions to help students retain, practice, and develop their powers of imagination.The spacious art studio, is busy throughout the school day. In addition to regularly scheduled classes, the art studio is open to students during lunch and recesses, and after school. Our art teachers, both practicing artists, introduce the students to art, art history, and its mechanics. Our boarding school students enjoy an art studio environment in which they feel comfortable, safe, and free to explore a wide range of media and subject matter.
While learning and becoming familiar with various artists and styles, the students develop a sense of themselves as artists and create art based on their personal experiences as well as imagination. Students learn that art is the outcome of a process that involves many decisions by the artist. Students begin to understand how to pay attention to details, nuance and subtlety. Students translate this new knowledge into a visual understanding of what they are learning in their core classes.
Art helps us to form images, text, symbols and allows for the ability to think in many fascinating ways.
- Identify visual elements such as lines, colors, shapes, textures, and their sensory qualities
- Understand that there are many different kinds of artists who work in a wide variety of materials
- Demonstrate basic skills in using media for drawing, painting.
- Plan the use of visual elements to create original artworks
- Begin to perceive and describe the subject matter, visual elements, and mood in their own artwork and the artwork of others
- Express their opinions about art and respond thoughtfully to others’ opinions
Day: Monday, Wednesday
Time: 10:45 am – 12:45 am